Saturday, August 27, 2016

A Simple Day

            I have a few outings and adventures that are building up, and that I’d like to write into this blog, but those will come out over the next few weeks and months; stories worth telling when the time is right.  Today I went fishing in a small creek north of here that I hadn’t been to all summer.  It’s a story I decided to tell now, so I don’t have to try to keep the details stored in my brain.  I follow a few other bloggers who also like to fish for trout, and they keep it pretty much short and sweet.  I’ll do the same today.  I’ll keep it simple.
            I’m a week and a half into the school year now, and on the brink of attending cross country meets on Saturday mornings. I love the district I teach for, the staff I work with, the team I am a part of, and already enjoy the students I have this year, but with the pressures that come with newness, mandates, and expectations, I needed a way to gain perspective and have a healthy way to work out my thoughts.
            It rained hard last night, but luckily I got the hayfield (err, lawn) mowed beforehand.  I was a little leery to get up prior to the crack of dawn, because I didn’t know if the creek I wanted to head to would be full to overflowing or not.  I had already thrown my gear into the back of the Jeep just in case.  I got up, took care of the dogs, had breakfast, and debated whether I should go or not before finally taking the steps to leave.  I needed to get to that creek whether it was full of water or not!
            When I arrived, I had to thrash through the edge of a tall prairie for a half mile, and cross over a backwater drainage ditch to get to the creek I wanted to fish.  

I took a few videos to document my progress.  The mosquitoes were absolutely thick, bloodthirsty, and relentless.  
I could pretty much guarantee that I’d be the only one out there.  It was going to be great whether I caught a trout or not.

            I got in the water around 10:30, and although it was a bit high from the rain, I didn’t have to worry about any holes in the bends of that creek that are over my head.  So I fished on.  Over the course of the next 3 hours I caught twelve brook trout, and one small brown.  The colors of the brook trout that I held in my hands were simply beautiful, and vibrant; there’s no other way to describe them.  
An Awesome Little Fish-Caught & Released
I brought three or four other brookies up to me, but couldn’t bring them up to my hand before they flipped off my spinner.  I also saw two fairly large trout follow my lure up to my feet before darting back under a nearby bank.  Of the fish I caught, I released all but three of them; each of them about ten inches.  The action I had was enough to keep me going until it was time to turn around and hike my way out.  I don’t always keep the fish I catch, and I often release those I do, but these I would fix for dinner tonight.  

Although it was overcast, sometimes misty, and even foggy as the warm, muggy air settled over the cold, spring fed creek, it was a perfect setting to fish in.  It was a simple outing for what I needed today; the first weekend after my first full week of school.
            I came home, took care of some “chores” and then set to preparing a home spun dinner.  After my cousins and I had texted back and forth a bit about our day’s outings and such, I called my cousin Brad to get the specifics on how he had smoked a trout we had had earlier this summer.  I picked some zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes from our garden, and cut them up to cook in a dab of olive oil.
 I then got down our little Weber Grill, and opened a new bag of lump charcoal to start a small fire to smoke the trout.  I even used a small piece of apple wood from a branch off the tree next to our house that didn’t leaf out this year, so that I could add it to the charcoal for a bit of flavor.


















            It was, of course, a delicious and perfect meal to share with my wife and daughter; and after talking on the phone (old school?) to my son who is at college; we took a ride in the country.  It was a simple day.  It was a good day.
            See you along The Way…

1 comment: