Monday, June 26, 2017

Africa - Day#6 (Something Different-6-8-17)


A Classic African Acacia Tree
Thursday, June 8th, 2017
            I ran again this morning, felt great, and enjoyed seeing the fresh tracks in the dust.  This time I did two separate trips up the trail road and back.  Afterwards, I washed and rinsed off by using a wash basin and taking a “splash bath;” cupping and throwing water up over my body.  I did this as I christened the shower stall side of the outhouse, now that the roosters have been moved and sanctioned to their new coop.  I repacked a day pack, wolfed down a bowl of oatmeal, and then grabbed a granola bar and snack mix pack to bring with me, as I joined the Team and loaded into one of the two safari vans that had driven back in to Kijani to pick us up.
            The Dellamaters had said that when you come to Africa you need to go on safari, to experience the animals and culture as another facet of this country.  We were excited to go on safari, and yet there was another part of me personally that hated to leave Kijani Farm.
            Brian and Jake Rogers, who were staying behind, were planning to use the time during our absence to try to communicate once again what supplies we would need from the mill, and the proper type of roofing and siding.  In addition, they needed to shore up the trail road and the ability to use it to allow the supplies to be brought in.  When we arrived back in camp on Saturday, we would have five solid days to close in the frame work of the house.  Jeff Ingersoll was expected to have flown in to Africa by then, as the last member of our Team.  These things were our hope and prayer as we departed, but as Brian often says, things just work differently in Africa as you talk through issues and negotiate how to proceed.
            Already since we first set foot in camp, Brian has been in several meetings, sitting in the shade with members of the local Maasai and on the phone (with a Safari “SIM” card it allows you to use your phone anywhere apparently).  He has been talking to the various businesses he in dealing with, and Anthony in Nairobi (who works for this particular safari company, called Moriah, and is also on Dellamater’s Kijani Farm-Board of Directors).  I’m slowly beginning to understand the connections behind the scenes, and how things work.  I just know that Brian has felt pressure between trying to have a rented truck that works when he needs it, and then having the Team here to help without all of the necessary supplies in camp.  The truck that he rented to bring our supplies down from Nairobi had bare wires behind the dash, and was piecemealed together.  Luckily between Noah, Gabe, and Jake, who know about vehicles, they were able to crawl under it and get it going again.
            Anyways, we have had plenty to do to keep us busy here at Kijani, but we also understand as a Team that Brian wants to utilize our manpower.  These are some of the conditions we have faced so far; conditions that will hopefully be cleared up upon our return.  And so with that monumental task left to them, the rest of us left for safari in Amboseli National Park; south of us near the Tanzania border, and at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro.  Luckily God is bigger than earthly issues.
On Safari
            I loaded into the van driven by Sylvester with our guide Peter sitting beside him in the front.  Members of the Team that were in this van included Todd, Noah Dellamater, and John & Paul Fay.  Nyles Bates, Gabe Dellamater, and Patty & Kristin Scholz rode in the other van, driven by Nicholas.  We drove south to a little village named Namanga where we stopped by a little souvenir shop.  Many objects had been carved and painted by the people scouring the premises, asking you to name a price for one of their items.  The building was unique in that it was both rough and rustic, and yet very clean and tidy.  A few people from our Team bought some things.  We then left the paved road and went onto a washboard, dirt and gravel road (named C#103) that wound around toward Amboseli National Park.  Noah told us we should, “Stay loose at the hips and move with the van.”  I replied, “If this van was a sailboat we’d want to sit on the high side.”  Sylvester often drove in the ditch where it was smoother than the actual road.  Frankly, I thought it was awesome.  It reminded me of traveling on some of the roads going into the beloved Pigeon River State Forest that I grew up next to in Michigan’s Northern, Lower Peninsula.  This was something different though.  Along the way, just off the roadside, we saw giraffes, zebras, and a few ostriches. 
TWO VIDEOS:
            Once we came to the main entrance, we were surrounded by a group of Maasai women who tried to sell us necklaces and bracelets.  It was hard to continue saying, “No thank you,” over and over as the guards checked over the passports.  We were there for about 15 to 20 minutes.  After a while the ladies switched to wanting to trade me something, or pay me for the necklace I was wearing.  They were very persistent, and it conjured up emotions that I had to wrestle with on the spot.  Finally, we switched the conversation to learning Maasai names for the animals we would be seeing in the park.  The ladies seemed to enjoy that, and we all laughed as they tried to explain the words while I tried to interpret what they were saying to me and write them into my journal.  Todd helped, and did better at translating and pronouncing the words, which made the women, laugh even more.
            As we prepared to leave, the ladies once again went back to pleading for us to purchase something.  It really was difficult to deal with, and know exactly what to do as they were right next to my side of the van with the door open.  When our driver Sylvester pulled the door shut to leave, I put my hand on the window as if to signal that I was sorry, and we drove through the gate.
            The emotions of seeing people in poverty, or begging us to buy something from them as we entered the park to stay in a lodge, felt very conflicting.  I still was wrestling with this even as we drove through landscape that looked like pictures I’ve seen of the salt flats out in Utah, back in the States.  We began to see wild animals that you typically only see in a book or on TV.
            Along the way to the Amboseli Serena Lodge, we saw and took pictures of many, many animals, both on a camera and my phone, while documenting a running list of the various species in my journal.  I suppose it’s the science teacher in me, but I wanted to know what each critter was, and their names.  Fortunately Peter & Sylvester obliged, and provided me with lots of information.  I was very glad I had brought our school’s camera, as it allowed me to zoom in very close to the animals that I saw.  We ended each stop by saying, “Sowa Sowa,” which meant “OK,” so that Sylvester knew we could continue driving onward.
            Once we drove up to the lodge, Todd and I checked into room #71.  The lodge is bizarre, in that it’s an island of sorts within the confines and wilds of the park.  Amboseli National Park itself is huge, as its area is more than 150 square miles.  After getting settled, we joined the rest of the Team for lunch in the dining room. 
            For our late afternoon safari, we reloaded into our same vans.  We added to my running list I was writing down after seeing two separate prides of lions, and two hyenas; among the many species of birds.  The setting sun was awesome as well.  Unfortunately the clouds masked us from being able to see all of Kilimanjaro, but we could see the snow at its peak.  When we returned from the drive in the fading light, we waited just a few minutes, and then had dinner at 7:30.  When the sun sets, it gets dark quickly here in Africa.  After dinner we made our way back to the room.  Todd sent a few messages to his girlfriend and I did too with my wife Cindy once the Wi-Fi came on.  It was mid morning back in the U.S. and almost a week since I had last communicated with the home front.  We went to bed with the low sounds of hippos out in front of our room here on the flip side.
            See you along The Way…

PHOTO GALLERY:
Maasai Giraffe
Zebra
Thompson's Gazelle
Egyptian Goose And Blacksmith Plover
Submerged Hippopotamus
African (Cape) Buffalo
Black Headed Heron
Goliath Heron
A "Crash" Of Hippos
Hyenas Wallowing In The Mud
Wildebeests (Also Called Gnus)
Reed Buck
An Elephant With Flared Ears
A Close Up!!
An Agama Lizard
Elephants Can Drink 600 Liters Of Water A Day (200 Gallons)
Grant's Gazelle
Wart Hog - A Fan Favorite
Grey Crowned Crane
These Birds Were Absolutely Beautiful
Ostrich
African Lioness
The Male Lion Off In The Distance
A Hyena Gnawing On A Wildebeest Skull
A Lioness And Her Cubs
Sacred Ibis
Female Common Water Buck
A Male Water Buck - About The Size Of Our Elk In The U.S.
Sunset

1 comment:

  1. Incredible!!! Fabulous pictures!! What an experience!!

    ReplyDelete