Saturday, July 8, 2017

Africa - Day#15 (Home-6-17-17)

The Sign That Met Todd And I Back At Our House
Saturday, June 17th, 2017
            Our 8½ hour flight from Nairobi to Amsterdam went smoothly.  I spent some time sleeping, journaling, watching a movie, and reading.  It was a long flight throughout the night as you are a captive audience to yourself.  Entertaining yourself is a must within the confines of your seat.  Todd spent most of his time sleeping while his movie played on.
            We arrived in Amsterdam a little after 7:00 a.m.  This time we found some comfortable seats to lounge in during our 5 hour layover; and so we set up a camp.  In shifts we would wander off both individually or in groups to find something to eat or stretch our legs and then return.
            Due to the fact that we were going to be following the sun from Amsterdam over to the United States, this 8½ hour flight was technically only going to be an hour and a half according to the clock.  We left the Netherlands at 12:25 p.m. and arrived in Chicago at 1:55 p.m.  The trip seemed to pass relatively quickly as I read and watched some more movies.  Todd had a seat next to what should have been a window, but apparently we were the one row where it was skipped; perhaps due to necessary support structures in the frame of the plane.  I was in the middle, and beside me next to the aisle was a military man returning home to Chicago’s suburbs to visit his family for a week or so.
Todd's Window Seat ?!     :  )
            At one point I was able to peek out the window next to the people sitting in the row in front of us and saw we were flying over land.  I checked our fight on the screen in front of me and saw we were cruising over the southern tip of Greenland.  I thought that was pretty neat.  The coolest time, however, was when I later looked and saw Lake Superior on the screen.  When I checked back a few minutes later to try to get a perspective and gauge our exact location, I recognized Burt and Mullet Lakes; prior to flying over the epicenter to “God’s Country.”  Yup, we were flying right over my home town in Northern Lower Michigan.  The words “Gaylord” and “Otsego Lake” were right there on the map in front of me, as we flew several miles in the air above.  I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.  It made me feel good to have a connection to my roots right at that point of our trip; if only I could have shouted it out to everyone else on the plane.  Unfortunately I couldn’t get a picture of the map in time before the words disappeared from the screen.
Traveling Over Greenland
Ironically A Picture Taken In My Classroom Before School Let Out
            After arriving in Chicago, we waited a little bit and then grabbed our luggage.  Noah and Gabe’s Grandpa met us outside with a mini bus.  It was hot back here in Illinois!  On the drive back to the Rockford area, it was difficult to keep our eyes open…for all of us.  Bottled water and a tub of chocolate chip cookies helped, and together with the windows down, we made it back to the Dellamater’s home in Rockton.  Family members met us, and the reunion felt good.  We unloaded our gear, said our goodbyes to the Kijani (Tumaini) Team, and headed home.
At O'hare Our Team Awaits The Approaching Mini Bus
The Family Is United-Todd, Jodi, Cindy, And I
            Cindy and Jodi had worked hard and were busy while we were gone; enjoying their time together but also attacking the lawn several times and various projects within the house.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I could probably live in a tent and cook over an open fire for the rest of my life, but it felt right to be home.  Cindy often teases me that if it wasn’t for her I’d probably live in a place that was only helicopter accessible.  It’s funny, and slightly true, but I do indeed love my family and what’s been granted to me by God’s grace.
            And so it’s come to this; whether it’s the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning I’m not sure.  To that end it’s probably a little bit of both.  From here on out I’ll definitely look at life with a different perspective, at the same time it was a once in a lifetime experience.  Even if I’m fortunate enough to go back, it won’t be exactly the same, nor should it be.
            When I started this journey, Heather Dellamater suggested that we journal our experiences.  I thought long and hard about that, and although I didn’t have any preconceived ideas on what that might look like, it quickly took on its own dynamics with a life of its own.  While much of what I wrote is arguably from my perspective, it also is an accurate documentation of what many of us experienced on this adventure, this mission, and this journey.  As the days progressed I continued to write; trying to “mix it up” in the way I delivered the facts and feelings with various styles.  From the writing and experience I learned a lot.  I was reminded that life goes beyond stuff and possessions.  For me as a teacher, it also goes beyond assessments and standards.  Life for me has always been about relationships, and in Africa that was made apparent.
            I wrote for two reasons.  One was obviously for me.  I would like to learn how to put my blog entries from this Africa trip into a book that I can look at and reflect on.  The second was to share with those who had gone out of their way to invest in me on this trip.  By writing I was hoping I could connect both my friends and family to what was happening around Kijani Farm in Southern Kenya; in East Central Africa.  My son Todd and I would not have been able to pull this off on our own without the prayers, love, and financial assistance that so many people offered and sacrificed to help make it happen.  For that we say, “Thank You.”  For that we say, “Ah-santi.”  I have humble gratitude for those who have supported us and given us this opportunity to learn and gain insight.
            Some may worry about where my interests may now lie.  Chin up!  My heart will always be linked to the pine, rock, and water of the North Country.  What about Africa you might ask.  Africa?  While the North holds my heart, Africa definitely crept into my soul.  Africa found a place in my soul to camp out and call home, even while I myself am here on the flip side.
            See you along The Way…

4 comments:

  1. It's been very rewarding to read your journal. I've waited until the end to respond because now I have the complete picture.

    I feel I know the Kijani Farm and it's people through these moments of reading. And to repeat your words, they are not just
    people over there but friends with faces and names. So typical of you taking in every moment and trying to see it through eternal eyes and how you are not just giving your time and talents but also receiving by taking the time to study and know each person you had been given the time to meet.

    To name a few things, I laughed at your description of curling up into the fetal position on the trip over to Africa, marveled at the scaffolding used many stories above the ground, intrigued by the names given to the birds (White Bellied Go Away Bird) and amazed by such things as a termite mound.

    To see you wanting to know the people by trying to use their native tongue - sowa sowa (ok), boma (tent), enkuatata (runner) - will probably be words seen again in your writings.

    But the wisest thing documented is the growing in your understanding of how Todd has become a man following God's leading.

    I enjoyed every day of you journal,
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks so much Dale. It's obvious that you took great note of each detail...very cool indeed. Todd and I appreciate your support and the fact that you followed us through the process/blogs. See you sometime soon!

      Delete
  2. Wow! What an incredible journey. So many comments come to mind and I can't wait to discuss it all in person. Thank you so much for sharing. We traveled with you in so many ways. I was moved to tears and did not want it to end. I love that Africa crept into your soul. A perfect description that we have felt for countries we have visited and people we have met on several of our adventures.
    Bless your hearts. Carry on!
    Love, Aunt Cherie & Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Cherie & Uncle Bob,
      Many times throughout our adventure I thought about the trips that you've taken, & the people you've met. We can't wait to see you in a month or so & catch up...I bet you've got some stories of things going on around The Lake as well. Thank you for the comments and encouragement as I was typing things out these past few weeks. As you know, it takes a lot of time, but it's well worth that time to document it into meaningful words!
      Take Care-
      Mike

      Delete