Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Thirty Years Plus

Thirty years ago today, on Saturday, December 31st, 1988, Cindy and I got married.  Her Dad used to joke that we had robbed him out of a dependent on his taxes by one day that year.  Real funny!  Cindy and I had started dating our sophomore year in college.  She was the first girl I had ever dated.  There was something intriguing about this girl who was into sports (she was on the volleyball team that fall).  We had a good time hanging out and getting to know each other that year.  Unfortunately we broke up as we started our junior year.  I’ll admit that I struggled with that, coupled with the fact that I was also busy as an R.A. that year while having trouble in my upper level math classes.  I came home to Michigan for Christmas Break.  During that time I talked a lot to my parents about refocusing, starting fresh, and switching my degree to elementary education. 
A week or so following Christmas Break, a bunch of guys and girls got together and played football on the front lawn of “The Mansion” on campus; at night, under the street lights, and during a snowstorm.  We were a small college.  Since our friend groups overlapped, Cindy was there.  Throughout the football game she kept tackling me in the snow.  I couldn’t quite figure out why, and I wasn’t sure I was ready to open up that quickly; although I’m not going to lie that I probably liked the attention.  Not long after that we got together, talked, and decided to begin dating again.  That was on Wednesday, January 21st, 1987.  Oh yes, believe it when I say that I’ve got the important dates written down!
On Sunday, March 20th, 1988 I was on my return drive from Gaylord, Michigan heading back down to Trinity College following Spring Break, when I decided to swing by Woodfield Mall.  I had been working lawn jobs since the fall and finely had what I needed for the last payment on an engagement ring.  I didn’t even wait, and instead decided to pick it up that afternoon.  Although it made for a really long day, I surprised her with a trip to downtown Chicago where we ate dinner at our favorite Greek restaurant (“The Plaka”-now closed).  We topped it off with a carriage ride where I proposed.  A carriage ride was what we had done on our very first date two and a half years before that, so it was a perfect way to be nostalgic and give her the ring.  She did say yes!  I had already asked Cindy’s parents for permission to marry her (unbeknownst to her) a few weeks before that when I took them out for breakfast.  We called our parents late that night to tell them the good news.
Cindy graduated in May of that year.  I worked up in Northern Michigan as a camp counselor throughout the summer at Spring Hill Camp.  She went back home to her parents, worked, and began planning for our wedding.  In the fall I student taught 4th grade at a local elementary school.  When I finished in December, I packed up my stuff, said a tearful goodbye to a great bunch of friends that I had roomed with throughout my college years, and headed home to Michigan for Christmas with my family.  My sister and I returned to Northern Illinois a week later driving in my little Chevy S-10 truck with the rest of my family following behind me a day later.  On Saturday, December 31st we were married.  The rest they say is history, but it’s been an adventurous thirty year journey ever since; one that will continue on now into the future!
See you along The Way…

PICTURES THAT TELL THE BEGINNING OF OUR STORY:

Brett, Carl, Brian Scott, Mike, Brad, Tim, Jim, Patrick
Lisa, Becky, Mina, Cindy, Beth, Karen
The Rhines Family-Mike, Dad, Mom, Becky, & Karen
The Firman Family-Beth, Dad, Mom, Patrick, Cindy, & Carl
Dr. Kantzer Married Us-With His Wife Ruth 

PICTURES FROM THIS 3OTH YEAR:

Dinner Out For Our 30th Anniversary
Burgers at "The Rock" In Beloit-A Good Way To Celebrate

1 comment:

  1. A great story and fun read! We can’t believe how fast the years have gone. Here’s to many many more adventures to a wonderful couple. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete