Monday, March 9, 2015

Acer Saccharinum

     I'll admit that when I was first introduced to the silver maple tree I was a bit aloof; bordering on being snobby.  The disdain, I suppose, came from a comparison with its more northerly cousin; the sugar maple.  It was the sugar maple that blanketed a large percentage of the woods behind our house when I was a kid, and provided us with maple syrup, firewood and excellent climbing trees.  It became the benchmark that other maples were measured against.  In fact, it became the standard for most trees, because it was all I knew.  Looking back at how I viewed the silver maple, it was prejudice born of ignorance.
     Not that long ago, my wife and I made a list of things we would and would not want in a home.  They were not absolutes, simply suggestions for our realtor, to help narrow the search towards what would best fit our family.  On the side of "would not want" I actually listed the silver maple.  Paraphrased, I wrote something to the effect that they're fine lining a river bank but I didn't want one in my front yard.  I think the feelings came from having seen them used as a quick fix to the shade and vegetation problems within new subdivisions.  They also tended to grow split trunks, had root structures that protruded from the ground and, although considered a hardwood, they weren't as strong as the sugar maple.
     The house we ended up with at the time was mainly wooded with burr oaks.  It was hard to argue with such a slow growing, massively strong tree like that.  It was about that same time that several factors and circumstances began to change my thinking of the silver maple; known by the scientific Latin name of Acer saccharinum.  Acer related to the sharp pointed tips that are found on most maple leaves.  Saccharinum related to the sugar content found in its sap.  Strangely similar is the Latin name for the sugar maple; Acer saccharum.  The commonality comes from the sugar they both carry.  Although the sugar maple does have a higher level of sugar, the silver maple isn't too far off.
     It's interesting how ignorance can be erased when you spend some quality time with those you don't understand.  As my explorations of the regions within Winnebago County expanded, so did the frequency of my run-ins with the silver maple.  
I have good memories of working in, and romping through, the white cedar swamps up north.  As a result, I found myself drawn to the swampy bottom-lands along some of our nearby rivers and creeks here in Northern Illinois.  Most people don't visit those areas, so they remain enticingly secluded.  The bottom-lands also tend to be void of trails, due to the fact that for a good portion of the warmer seasons they are under water.  That's perfect for those wanting to trek unmarked territory and perhaps see some things that might otherwise go unnoticed; regardless of what season it is.  Several times, over the last few years, I've followed raccoon trails in the snow to hollow silver maple trees.  After lowering my camera into the den, I was able to capture pictures that showed a group of coons huddled together for warmth.

     Since the year I began teaching, I have taught a science lesson down by the creek near our school.  Now, years later, this has grown to include our entire team of fifth grade teachers.  We spend a whole day, out-of-doors, teaching various subjects under the canopy of the trees beside the creek; as the classes rotate through our stations.  My science station is at the foot of two massive silver maples.  The bigger of the two has nine huge trunks protruding from its base.  The biggest trunk is thicker than what my arms can wrap around.  This tree has become my favorite silver maple of all time, and my students know this.  I simply have grown to love that these trees grow in areas close to the waterways that I like to walk beside.  Each year now we have our class picture in front of that particular tree; after the kids have had the chance to climb up into it.  I can relate to the feelings they have.  When I step up into its basin and am held within its loving arms, it's hard to imagine any animosity I may have felt toward this species of tree.
     Although we only have our "Creek Walk Day" once a year, in the fall, I often walk down to the creek and check on the silver maple throughout each of the various seasons.  A few years ago we moved closer to the school where I teach.  That same nearby creek provides me with a local place where I can get to quickly, run the dogs, listen to trickling water and watch the leaves rustle in the trees.  And while I do enjoy watching the heart shaped leaves of the cottonwood, the silver maple looks pretty majestic when its leaves flutter back and forth between the green and silver coloring.  The windier it is, the more its silver underside is exposed.
     Yesterday I walked down to the creek and cooked breakfast at the base of the "The" silver maple.  I took several pictures of it from different angles, including one from the creek itself; atop the ice.  I'd like to take pictures from those same locations during each of the seasons throughout the year.  It would make for an interesting collage; one worthy of hanging in our house.  It's the least I can do for this species of tree that I once maligned.
Cottonwoods on the left & "The" Silver Maple on the right.
     This afternoon my daughter Jodi and I returned to the creek, walked the dogs, and spent a little time together.  After the warmer weather we've had the last two days, the snow had begun to melt and water was running on top of the ice.  We climbed up into the silver maple, peeked out through its trunks and laughed.  When we were done, we walked back to our house.  Our house is fairly easy to spot.  It's the one with the silver maple in the front.
See you along The Way...
The "Winter Version" of my Science Station.
My favorite Silver Maple back on the left...
The smaller of the two on the near right.
Jodi...within the silver maple's arms.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the post. Your blog reminds me of my favorite silver maple, a huge fellow just outside the front entrance of the Houghton College library in upstate New York. He was a massive, looming specimen that I saw every day for 4 years straight. Good memory.

    ReplyDelete