Saturday, January 27, 2018

A January Thaw Solo Outing


THE HIKE IN:
CLICK FOR THE VIDEO:
            It’s a day of cloudless, blue skies.  To my left, and south, is the sun.  It’s just shy of 50 degrees today, warm enough that spiders have been out; their evidence is left in their strands of webbing that catch sunlight as they dance in the slight breeze.  It’s a January thaw for sure.  Ahead of me, to the west, I can hear the geese.  They are no doubt floating the river; the river I won’t be able to get to today.  I’m still a half mile from its banks and have been held back by the flooded backwaters.  I wish now that I had packed my hip boots.  I wouldn’t have been denied.  I had temporarily toyed with the idea of taking off my winter boots, slipping my feet into some plastic grocery bags I had brought along for just such an occasion, and then lace my boots back up.  I would have been able to move through relatively shallow water without getting my feet and socks wet in the still cold water.  This present flooding after the week’s rain and snowmelt, however, would have gone over the tops of my boots, and I still had to cross a meandering creek before reaching the river itself.  Perhaps the next time I’m out here I’ll haul along the extra, and necessary, gear to carry out that endeavor.  To my right, and north, a “murder” of crows must be harassing an owl; they are raucous and carrying on like they do when they’ve discovered a raptor and are trying to blow its cover.
One of The spiders Crawling Across My Journal
            Earlier a herd of deer bounded through the water and marsh grass to the southwest.  I also saw an eagle circling in the easy air currents before drifting off behind me to the east by southeast.  At my back, and east, is a silver maple.  Most of the trees surrounding me are of this species, but I also see some ironwood and have spotted a couple of sycamores.  I knew these sycamores were somewhere nearby as they had dropped their tell-tale leaves; big and broad and just a little smaller than a dinner plate.
            Nuthatches, chickadees, and a northern flicker provide background sounds, accompanied by the rhythmic pecking of a hairy woodpecker and the booming from a pair of barred owls.  These are the serenading calls of comfort and familiarity, and for that I am thankful.
CLICK FOR THE VIDEO:
            I needed a solo outing today.  I needed to engage in a place where my soul can sing and I can immerse myself wholeheartedly.  If I had an entire day of this, from early morning until late at night, I would probably border on calling it a vision quest.  I need the refueling.  All of us do from time to time to do what we do with any amount of passion.  I’d say, “With any amount of rigor” if I dared, but I won’t.  Passion sounds better and rigor seems too much like someone else’s ill-advised goals being enforced upon me.  Rigor tips the scales towards the side of bondage, and so I’m sticking with passion.  Passion involves the heart and the whole person.  Passion is holistic in that way.
            For this reason I’ll simply spend a few hours here.  Sitting on a nylon lined blanket with my dog Kora, I’m on a little, round knoll about a foot up off the level of the water.  It’s just big enough for Kora, and I, and the massive silver maple I mentioned earlier.  It’s all good company.  I imagine this knoll is the remains of a once overturned tree stump, now reduced to a slightly raised bump in the midst of this lowland forest.
            Kora’s been staring back towards the east, along the worn deer trail we had followed in, and that extends now under my feet.  About a half hour after first sitting down to write, two people came fairly close behind me.  I think they may have seen Kora’s head peaking around the trunk of the tree, and backed off and disappeared after that.  On outings like this I try hard to avoid people, so it’s fine with me.  Solitude can be a good thing when one wants to think, relax, and/or write.
            Typically I would have come out earlier today, but I first wanted to run a few miles with a friend, and then I wanted to come out after the sun had warmed the Earth.  I’ll go out in any kind of weather, but it’s exciting to soak up some vitamins from the sun in January.  This is especially true when I want to journal, and hold onto a pen without having to wear my big, leather mittens.
            I’m lying on my side now, with Kora beside me; it’s all about getting comfortable I guess.  Presently the breezes have extended into a slight wind and the branches are rattling together.  Sunlight shines on the waxy, earthbound leaves surrounding my blanket.  Poison ivy shoots extend up out of the ground on either side.  This would not be a place to spend much time during any of the warmer seasons.
            It’s times like today where I wonder if I could ever do do this type of thing for a living.  Not that someone would pay me for the solitude aspect, but the outing itself; bringing others into the great out of doors.  Perhaps it could happen as a second job, or something to fill in the gaps in retirement.  I love the planning, the preparation of the gear, and getting others into wild surroundings.  I’d still save my favorite destinations for special, solo outings such as this.  It would be about the experience, not the specific location.  Getting out into nature; sensing it, capturing it in words or photos, and immersing oneself into what it has to offer, is worthy of sharing.  It’s worthy of sharing with those who have similar interests, and connections, and would appreciate both the outing and the experiences that it has to offer.  It’s also worthy of sharing with those who have no connections what-so-ever, but are willing to risk the chance to attempt a relationship with the natural world.  I suppose it’s something to dream about.  Until then, I’ll continue to soak up today’s sun, and the sneak peak of springlike conditions this January thaw is providing.
            See you along The Way…

No comments:

Post a Comment